Sunday 22 December 2013

Finished Zombicide Fatties

I painted up the fatties and abomination from the first Zombicide game recently. Pictures below...

I decided to paint some of the Zombicide zombies, and the fatties seemed the simplest ones to try. I added in the Abomination and one of the regular zombies to bring the total up to ten.

I've been unhappy with some of my recent zombie flesh choices, so I decided on a different approach with these ones. I underpainted with Vallejo Orange-Brown, then painted over with a mix of Vallejo flesh and yellow green. The plan was that this mix would give me a slightly green tinted flesh colour. However, my mixing-fu was off and it ended up a lot more green than I'd intended. By the time I got to the abomination I was fed up, and decided to leave him orange-brown, rather than have him look like the Incredible Hulk.

My painting approach was fairly simple - colour, wash for shading and drybrush highlight. I used a chunk of foam on the white lines on the bases to break them up a bit, but nothing special.

The "blood" was the new Games Workshop "Blood for the Blood God" Technical Paint - basically a translucent glossy red. Works well enough, so I'll use it on future zombies.

Abomination Front Abomination Back

Abomination

Fatties

Couple of the zombie fatties

Regular Front Regular Back

Regular zombie

For the last time this year, "and finally, the group shot"

Fatties Group

I picked up the two Zombicide expansion packs - Toxic City Mall and Prison Outbreak - after I'd started painting these figures. The expansions add toxic zombies and rager zombies to the game, and the ideal colours for them will be green and red, which is slightly unfortunate given my colour choices for regular zombies. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the new ones "more green" and "more red", or if I'm going to treat the ones I've painted as toxic and rager versions and paint the expansion zombies in more human flesh tones.

My painted zombie horde is probably about 100 figures strong, so I'm not going to paint any new ones for a while. I did discover, however, that I have fewer survivor figures than I thought. I have loads of folk with chainsaws, but not that many with shotguns or pistols, so my next zombie related painting will be some of the Zombicide survivors and their Zombivor variants.

1 comment: