Sunday 20 April 2014

Epic Space Marine - The Rhino

A step down in scale this week, and the first of several posts covering Epic 40K from the 90s.

I've always had a soft spot for 6mm vehicles, so when Games Workshop brought out 6mm tanks (which they called Epic, just because…) I was very tempted. The first generation of models wasn't up to much, but their second generation was much better.

I got these around the time Epic 40,000 was released, just as Citadel were changing from miniatures with lead in them to all white metal. They were getting rid of the old stock in a sale (yup, you read that correctly), and also had loads of their regular games on sale.

I picked up the core game and numerous blister packs (including several Thunderhawk Gunships), and still have many packs of unopened Tryanids lying about.

The game came with Orks as the enemy force, but I was never particularly fond of Orks in any scale and most of them are still on their sprues. I also picked up an Eldar War Host boxed set, which had a much more useful selection of tanks and figures.

The Epic 40,000 game came with dozens of building sprues. I'm not crazy on the whole Gothic look and most of my 6mm SF stuff is more "normal", so they're still sitting unpainted in the loft.

I decided that this post would cover vehicles based on the Rhino chassis. Future posts will cover main battle tanks, Titans, troops and aircraft.

Anyways, enough waffle, onto the pictures...

The humble Rhino. This is one of the plastic ones from the game. There is a metal version as well, which has less sloped sides.

Rhino

edit: There was a comment last week requesting a comparison figure to give an indication of the size of these models. The picture below shows a metal Rhino next to a 6mm Space Marine.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QMTZRy8ftiI/U2aG_sd5giI/AAAAAAAACYo/RLrDhga9ojc/s800/b119_RhinoForScale.jpg

Having said that I didn't like the first generation of models, I do have a few. This is one of the early Predators.

Predator Left Predator Right

Next up is the Razorback. This model used to exist in 28mm as well, but is not the same as the one they're showing on their site.

Razorback Front Razorback Back

Finally, the Whirlwind. This was also part of the basic Epic 40,000 game.

Whilrwind

Next time will be main battle tanks…

3 comments:

  1. I think the paint jobs are outstanding. Any chance of seeing them with something to give

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost the last post mid sentence! It should have ended - a guide as to size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see what I can do for future pictures. I should be able to add a 6mm and 28mm Marine into the shots.

    The paintjobs were back when I could see these things without needing glasses and optivisor. I dread to think what it would be like now :-)

    ReplyDelete