Sunday 17 August 2014

Finished Kroot

I've just finished the latest group of science fiction figures. The Kroot enter the fray…

I bought a box of Kroot when they were first released. The plan had been to convert them to demon foot soldiers for my demon post apocalypse setting. However, I never worked out how to make it look like they were holding anything but guns, so the figures languished in the cupboard for many years.

With the SF kick I'm on this year, I was looking to paint up some indigenous forces - irregulars to take on the might of the corporations sort of thing - so the Kroot came back onto my radar.

I had used one as a conversion, so I had fifteen left on the sprues. I also picked up a metal Kroot Shaper and a FineCast Krootox. I'm not a fan of painting big units, so I split the figures into two groups of nine and eight (with the Shaper and Krootox in the group of eight).

I've had issues in the past where my attempts at colour schemes have ended badly, so I kept to the recommended GW colours. The box I had listed the old paint colours, so there was a bit of conversion required.

There's not really much to report. The figures are fairly simple and have the sort of detail that works well with the base, wash, highlight approach. I used slightly more contrast than usual, as the matt varnish usually knocks everything back.

The bases were done with a first layer of sand, followed by Golden Coarse and Extra Coarse Pumice Gels. These are great for drybrushing and I'll probably be using them for more bases.

I'm not sure when I'm painting up the second group, although it should be fairly soon. I had an unpleasant time putting the Krootox together, but I'll leave that story for the appropriate post.

Kroot 1

Kroot 2

Kroot 3

Some of the weapons and extras that came with the figures

Kroot Back

The first half of the unit

Kroot Group

1 comment:

  1. These look great.

    Have you looked at foundry fantasy for some of your indigenes? They have some vaguely insect types which might fit your bill.

    ReplyDelete