Sunday 27 March 2011

Dwarf Cavalry

I'm just about finished the Mantic skeletons I've been working on. The only things left are shield patterns and bases. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the shields, so I've started the next group of figures while I decide. No pictures of the skeletons yet, but I'll put some up when they're finished.

I'm also close to finishing the 54 mm modern crossbow I've been scratchbuilding. I've been spending a lot of time making the parts, so next up is to build the thing. Once that's done, and assuming it looks okay, I can finally start on the modern vampire hunter figure who'll be holding it. I still have a lot of enthusiasm for this project, which given that the crossbow has taken me a couple of months (weekends only), is hopefully a good sign.

Anyway, this week's photos are some more elements of my Dwarf army - Dwarf cavalry. Dwarves and horses aren't words usually uttered together in the same sentence, and finding the models wasn't easy. These six are all very old, bought and painted in the late 80s, early 90s. I'm not sure any but the Irregular ones are still in production.



The whole unit. Back in the old Citadel adventurer days they did mounted and unmounted versions of the same figure. Some of the cavalry is composed of these figures.



Not sure it shows in the photo, but the left foot on the mounted dwarf is a replacement I had to make as the foot was missing on the original model. One of my earliest greenstuff patches :-)

Likewise



is the mounted version and foot of the adventurer from the Introduction. Now that I come to look at them more closely, there are quite a few differences between them. I'm fairly sure, however, that they're meant to be the same figure, although it has been a while.



I think this one also has a dismounted adventurer, but I can't find the unmounted version of him in my collection. Given that I have most of the dwarves from this period that Citadel produced, this came as a bit of a surprise.

Final Citadel one is Gimli from their old Lord of the Rings set (thanks to stunties.com for confirming that). Again, if there's a foot version, it's likely I have it, but I can't find it at the moment.



The final two are Irregular models. They're one-piece models, i.e. riders are not separate figures.







No comments:

Post a Comment