Sunday 3 April 2011

Bugman's Rangers

014a Bugmans Rangers

I was reading a blog entry at Subject to Stupidity about the old Bugman's Rangers the other week. While the figures on the blog were old, the group he showed was not in fact the first version of the regiment. I think it may have been the second, but I don't have any of those figures.

I do, however, have the originals, bought sometime in the early 80s (the date on the bottom of the figures is 1984). They were the original Regiment of Renown - with RR1 emblazoned proudly on the packaging.

My dwarf army is more or less made up of single figures, so I only ever painted up one of the Rangers and the command group. I used the command group for the phalanx (to be featured in a future post) and I think I may have used another copy of the command group in the main body of the army - I definitely remember painting up the standard bearer a couple of times.

A painted amd unpainted version of the original trooper is shown below

Bugman Ranger Front Bugman Ranger Back Bugman Unpainted Trooper

and the figures that comprised the command group

Bugman Ranger Commander Bugman Ranger Banner Bugman Ranger Musician

Finally, from the depths of my loft, the original figures from the Regiments of Renown. This is the original packaging, complete with a price tag. The original price had been covered over with a bit of card. I can't remember what I paid for them, but the price under the bit of card was £4.50, or 45p per figure. Not sure how much 45p gets you these days - possibly an arm if you're lucky :-(

R R Box 1 R R Box Cover RR Price Tag

At some point I should try and sell them, or auction them off for charity, but for the moment it's back to the loft for the little chaps.

Edit: 26 June 2011

There has been much chatter about these figures (not mine, but the Bugman's Rangers figures in general) over at the Lead Adventure Forum. The main outcome from my own point of view, other than not now being sure how many figures of each type were in the original box, was the (re)discovery of the champion figure. As it turns out, I had him, although just as another figure in the army. While not part of the original Regiment of Renown, he did come out around the same time.

JB Champion Front JB Champion Back

No comments:

Post a Comment