Sunday 2 October 2011

Mantic Skeletons 1

038 Mantic Skeletons 1

I bought the Mantic undead army in November 2010, and finally finished the first unit last week (September 2011). At this rate, twenty or so years should see the whole army done.

I painted the unit in two groups, separated by a few other projects, which probably explains the delay. I may attempt larger groups when painting the rest of the units, although I find it difficult to fit too many figures into the painting time I have.

The painting went fairly smoothly, although the Humbrol Matt Varnish did have a strange effect on the bronze - dulling it down more than I expected.

I didn't do any shield patterns on this unit, but the plan is to so some on subsequent units. Mantic provide stickers with patterns on them, so they should be relatively easy to apply.

Basing wise, I did more than just my usual textured paint. I used sand, flock and some Poison Ivy from Army Painter. This was only a tiny packet, but cost £4.00; when the time comes to replace it, I'm going to look for something cheaper.

Having decided from a couple of previous posts that I'm starting to overuse of the phrase "and finally, the group shot", I merely present a couple of pictures taken at slightly different angles of the finished unit (you can see the second rank better in the second picture)

Skeleton Group 1

Skeleton Group 2

There is a "skeleton bursting out of the ground" figure on the sprue, so I built and painted it as well, giving a total of twenty one figures in the unit. No big problem in itself, but they only supply twenty bases... I've used a base from another unit, so I'll need to replace it at some point.

Skeleton 1

No comments:

Post a Comment