Sunday 16 October 2011

Pig Iron Heavy Infantry

Pig Iron Heavy Infantry

I have mentioned the Pig Iron Heavy Infantry figures in previous posts. I finally finished and based all the ones I have, so there are some photos below; I apologise in advance for the darkness of the pictures. The paint scheme is quite dark, and, although I was using my usual lighting setup, the pictures just came out very dark. Time to investigate new lights, or preferably just learn how to use the existing ones better.

When I painted the first group

Troop 1

I don't remember making a note of the colours I used for the camouflage. This meant that when I picked up the heavy weapons teams

Heavy Weapon 1 Heavy Weapon 2 Heavy Weapon 3

I had to try and match the colours. I made sure, however, that I wrote them down this time.

When I came to paint the command group

Command Group

and Wardroids

Warjacks

I checked my notebook and used the colours I'd written down. At this point, it struck me that it would be a good idea to put these colours into EverNote, to keep everything in one place. Imagine my surprise when I found the colours already detailed in an existing note. Imagine my annoyance when I realised they were all different to the ones in my notebook.

It looks like I did, in fact, make a note of the colours for the first group, in my notebook. I didn't think to check the notebook for the second group, and made their notes online. For the third group, I checked the notebook, but not online... This getting old thing is starting to take its toll.

Anyway, the differences aren't really noticeable, and I have no intention of repainting anything.

The figures are rounded out (for now) with two Citadel Imperial Guard Sentinels. They're not camouflaged, so should be usable by more than one force if required. Although it doesn't come through too well in the photos below, the feet are weathered, and it actually looks okay.

Sentinel 1 Sentinel 2

The final picture just shows a comparison of the sizes of a trooper, Wardroid and Sentinel

Comparison

That's all my Pig Iron figures painted for the moment. They do a sniper team, and I may expand the core troopers at some point, but I view this unit more as a special forces team, so there's no need for huge numbers of figures.

For transport, I have three Halo Warthog vehicles from McFarlane, and I'm planning on buying a ForgeWorld Elysian Tauros Venator. Not the cheapest of vehicles, but it should fit in with the rest of the unit nicely (although the figures may require head swaps).

Large armoured vehicle wise, I'm still undecided. I see the ones that are out there, and at first glance I like them. When I look closer, however, they start to lose their appeal. One of these days...

Not sure when I'll get to game with them. I've just bought the Tomorrow's War rules from Ambush Alley Games and Osprey, so if I can get away from my painting desk, it would be an ideal opportunity to test the rules and use the figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment