Sunday 22 January 2012

Modern Demon Hunters 1

Modern Demon Hunters 1

I've just finished some new modern Demon hunters, so in anticipation of those (photographs next week), I present some of my older figures in this category.

As mentioned a long time ago in my Grey Knights post, one of the periods I play is a modern post apocalypse setting, where humanity is fighting against Vampires and Demons (and anything else I find in the cupboard).

When I started collecting these, there weren't that many suitable figures available, so I ended up having to convert those I bought to some degree. The underlying ranges are mostly Foundry Street Violence, Copplestone, I-Kore, West Wind and Citadel.

As Buffy the Vampire Slayer was still on the television, this did influence my figure choice quite a bit :-) It was only recently, when selecting figures for a game, that I realised I'd only painted a handful of male fighters. Additionally, there were no magic users, and no modern priest types, a situation I've only just remedied.

I decided that firearms would be of limited use against supernatural enemies, so most of these figures are armed with swords, bows etc. I do have quite a few post apocalypse Mad Max type figures, so I can always bring in some guns if required.

Demon Hunters 1

The figure on the left was, if memory serves, completely unclothed when I bought it. I sculpted on trousers and an attempt at a chainmail shirt (not entirely successful). I do regret not swapping the shield with a modern police type one.

The figure on the right is Reaper (again, memory dependant), no conversions involved. The figure was sold as a fantasy fighter, but fits into a modern setting without too much trouble.

Demon Hunters 2

A group of Foundry, Hasslefree and a very old Citadel "Man with No Name" figure.

Demon Hunters 3

In addition to swords and bows, I have some flame thrower/holy water thrower figures. The first and third are conversions, the other two are straight out the blister.

Demon Hunters 4

These were all converted to some degree. The first figure had her gun replaced with a bow. She also has a quiver, although it doesn't show up well in the picture.

I sculpted replacement arms on the second figure. They were meant to be the same length, so that the axe would be horizontal, but my sculpting's not that good. I think it actually looks better this way, as it gives the axe a bit of weight. The axe head was from the bits box, and I made the haft from a bit of brass rod. The "cloth" wrapping was greenstuff and there are a couple of bits of plasticard in there as well.

The third figure had a sword added and her pistol replaced with a pistol crossbow. A lot of the conversions were pistol to pistol crossbow, a process which involved cutting a channel in the top of the gun, then drilling a hole through the end of the barrel and inserting a piece of curved brass rod.

The final figure had a sub machine gun and skateboard removed and replaced with a sword and axe.

Demon Hunters 5

Demon Hunters 6

More of the same, you get the idea by now :-)

I counted over sixty demon hunters in the drawer - I really didn't think I had painted that many, but obviously I had. There are still a few in the lead pile, so it looks like there will be some reinforcements for the forces of light at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment