Sunday 29 January 2012

Modern Demon Hunters 2

Modern Demon Hunters 2

Some new figures this week - a group of modern Demon hunters that I finished last weekend.

As I mentioned last week, I recently discovered that I had no priest or witch figures, so this group was painted to fill the gap.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. I thought I had got my camera settings reasonably consistent, but the white balance was way off this week, and correcting it has caused other issues. Still, in the list of problems facing the world at the moment, this is probably not even in the top five :-)

Priests

These are all Reaper figures. My favourite is the Van Helsing type priest with the stake/cross, his hair white as a result of all the Demon's he's faced. He also has white eyebrows, although I'm not sure that worked quite so well.

Priest 3 Front Priest 3 Back

The other two are more traditional priests, although one looks a bit more level-headed than the other :-).

Priest 1 Front Priest 1 Back

Not sure what happened with his suit, but it's meant to be dark grey. I think the wash I used for shading was too dark, then I messed up reapplying the base layer...

Priest 2 Front Priest 2 Back

I have some Citadel cultists painted up (and a bunch more to build and paint), so this one may find himself doing double duty as their crazed prophet leader.

Witches

Hasslefree and Hesesy/Spyglass figures. I have quite a few more witches to paint, but these will tide me over for a while.

Witch 2 Front Witch 2 Back

Had a bit of a fight with her cloak, when the shade actually ended up lightening some of the folds. Not idea why, and I ended up having to paint the folds in, rather than washing/glazing them.

Witch 1 Front Witch 1 Back

I should have highlighted her trousers a bit more, as they don't show up very well. Sadly, once they're varnished, they'll look even flatter...

Male hunter

As mentioned previously, most of the figures I have painted for the Demon apocalypse setting are female. There are a few males (and again, more waiting to be painted), so this Hasslefree figure will bolster the Y-chromosome numbers.

Hunter Front Hunter Back

I've never been very good at urban camouflage, and even though I downloaded and studied some pictures, I'm still not happy with the results. It looks like a lot of lines, rather than areas of colour - something I'll try to work on next time. He does have some 5 o'clock shadow, although it hasn't shown up very well in the pictures.

Basing

The figures were based on resin bases from Antenocitis Workshop, so I had to remove the slottabase tabs, then drill out both the feet and the base. For the Hasslefree witch and male hunter, however, drilling would have been very tricky, and the figures would have been quite unstable (particularly the witch).

What I did with these two, therefore, was clip away most of the tab, but leave a piece attached under each foot. I then drilled out the resin base to accommodate these plugs, glued them in place and covered the join with a filler/pva/sand mix.

This gives the hunter a stable base for his walking pose, and lets the witch "levitate" without relying on a single pin, while still tying their bases in with the rest of the figures.

It's still too cold to risk varnishing them in the loft, so it'll be a couple of months before they're completely finished. At the rate at which I game, however, they'll still be ready in plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment