Saturday 18 February 2012

Dwarfs with Swords

Dwarfs with Swords

Dispelling the notion that dwarfs are only capable of using axes and crossbows, this week brings some dwarfs armed with swords.

All but a couple are Citadel, and are probably mid to late 80s, all/most pre-slotta.

Dwarf Sword 1

Dwarf Sword 2

Another fairly rare female dwarf in this group. Outside of the Dwarf Civilians, there are probably fewer than ten female figures in the entire army. Still, that's ten more than are available from Citadel these days... Also noteworthy in this group is the Assyrian dwarf, a break from the mostly Norse themed dwarfs Citadel produced at the time.

Dwarf Sword 3

I've actually just noticed that the dwarf at the end has a spear. Sneaky that, I think he must have logged onto my machine and modified the photograph when I wasn't looking. Yup, that's the only explanation I can think of :-)

Dwarf Sword 4

The figure on the end is from Asgard, if memory serves. They're no longer in existence, but apparently their sculpts are still available from other manufacturers.

Dwarf Sword 5

Some of their old adventurer range, varnish definitely yellowing on the sword on the left. These figures have been both gloss and matt varnished in their time, then stuck in a drawer for over twenty years, so I can't really say I'm surprised :-)

Dwarf Sword 6

Another pirate themed Dwarf in this group, along with a standard bearer that even I couldn't mess up.

Dwarf Sword 7

Old Grenadier dwarf, and one of my favourite Citadel ones - the dwarf on the end in chainmail.

Classic dwarfs that look as good now as they did when they first came out. I'm going to avoid the "things were better in my day" old guy lament, but they were :-)

On more up to date painting news, I'm nearly finished some Mantic Ghouls and I'm in the middle of getting the next group of figures prepared. Pictures of the Ghouls fairly soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment