Sunday 4 November 2012

54mm Seline Finished

I finally got around to basing a 54mm figure I painted back in September 2010, Seline from Eolith Miniatures.

I bought the Seline figure from Eolith Miniatures back when it was still in business (the figure is now available from Artemis Black). I actually blogged about the figure way back in March 2011, so I won't repeat any of that here.

Finished and based figure

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhf-N4m9-cR3VL0OU-mPW9gFUCp4LzC1wYowsGGbyuTTqZAnSeHcfs4rchZ2QlLyomPhHrX-hWU2yDnyHDDqCcl8XugE1prfPKUlmgcbt9SIga59aHrVeQkm28gyoGAMczJhlwzx-RbdXE/s689/b76_SelineFront.jpg https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj30Tebc9sAsQgM_ZIIYnM_GwUvKHup3MR_Ov8MYHWGC89xI_Gds1m2aqYU3t50vWHKC3Ndwt7xtu394mK1-jje_UZJN-WSyWido57MeQLgW9fHFW2F-yhp-b6VuTy3I5meqRNmYwjVd2Y/s689/b76_SelineBack.jpg https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj8sjDROG32Rb_xuS2-mki6K-ste4gg9iFdFBKzId4gIhr0bs2XVpImJORHOcUAENwbT15_-kdU9uF9vKi9heNPEBYANgWLjMFgxWcCVuUAhDQRMybAEUgwtaFDysT2k89NnXVfU6_YeI0/s689/b76_SelineSide.jpg

The thing that held me back in the intervening two years was the base, as I couldn't decide what I wanted. I ended up making one from scratch using Cold Clay epoxy putty (like Milliput, but easier to work with). I carved the stones, using some other pieces I have for inspiration (but which weren't quite suitable for a variety of reasons). I'm not completely sure, but I think I may have developed a reaction to the Cold Clay, as I was covered in a rash a day or so later. I guess I'll find out the next time I use it!

The pedestal was one I picked up at a convention, and I built the base directly on top of it, making sure it was protected by cling film before starting. This didn't produce quite the results I had hoped for, and I had to trim the edge of the stones quite a bit, to get them to line up with the pedestal. The Cold Clay, however, cuts and sands easily, so it wasn't too difficult.

Painting was fairly straightforward, and I used some weathering powders to dirty up the stonework. The completed stonework was then pinned to the pedestal and the feet were pinned through the stonework into the pedestal. All this was done using two-part epoxy, and despite my best efforts, some did mange to leak out the side and through the holes for the boots. I ended up having to repaint a bit of the stonework, but it could have been much worse.

Some clearer pictures of the base

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgLBTuRSwdC4-obHAMluRpk0IxgWh5Fzzdlj1KcSFtQP21KR8c71DDR4uEmU61H_QmNt75_eZp3bXqNZHpWuE2K5kBiosgkFAUe-mbMmKFk6Oy-JHuSp5jJ-8pAyMOZJ9tJN1v5-7ow6CE/s795/b76_SelineBaseFront.jpg https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiGZxiw8fkqhhXtG0CoeNEY_qQL-U2S_wMe931y_3SrmSgHa8ojHvRUHe5BEm7udBdcZPa4puB2obkSJraJ72cWKPJS06zhRvLK77GOiGDsJztE-HKCeTPuvrgRO75HZsywTM_skEsiNZQ/s702/b76_SelineBaseBack.jpg

This is only the fourth 54mm figure that I've painted and I haven't painted any in the two years since (although I am busy cleaning one at the moment). I'm not sure why there's been such a long gap, as I do enjoy the change of scale and have a number of kits waiting in the lead mountain. Perhaps the long winter nights will see a few more finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment