Saturday 24 November 2012

Wire Mesh Fence Tutorial Part 1

Wire Mesh Fence Tutorial Part 1

Wire fencing is just the kind of mesh fencing you get around parking lots etc. It's nothing fancy, just wire attached to metal/concrete posts. This article describes the approach I took when making some recently.

My aim was to build enough fencing to surround a one foot square area. I decided not to go for a specific gate piece, reasoning that the entrance would be protected by other means, or simply left open.

With those requirements, and the amount of mesh I had, I decided to make the following pieces:

  • 8 x 160mm
  • 2 x 80mm
  • 2 x 60mm

A couple of the 160mm and one each of the 80mm and 60mm bases are shown below.

Base Sizes

This number of pieces would let me build a fully enclosed area, or use the shorter pieces in various combinations to leave an entrance. I miscounted when cutting out the pieces (I think I forgot that I'd built a test piece), so I decided to build a damaged section from the extra piece.

Supplies

The following supplies were used:

  • aluminium mesh. I had some old car repair mesh lying around, so decided to use that. Anything with the appropriate pattern will do, however, and plastic mesh is probably much easier to work with
  • plastic rod. I used 3.2mm x 2.5mm rod for the post supports
  • cardboard. Thin corrugated cardboard was used for the bases. This did warp a little bit, but not as much as I'd expected
  • plasticard scraps. I used some 0.75mm plasticard to make some "Keep out" signs
  • filler, sand, rocks and flock to texture the bases
  • various paints, both spray can and bottle
  • Lego, clamps, steel ruler, modelling knife

Glues used were:

  • hot glue gun, used to attach the posts to the cardboard
  • craft tacky glue (just really sticky PVA) , used to attach the mesh to the posts
  • PVA glue, used for various things during the build

I built a test piece, during which I couldn't find the sand I wanted, so ended up using a much coarser material. The test piece is shown below, with the other bases in the background.

Test Base

Next week I'll cover the actual construction of the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment