Sunday 14 September 2014

Scale Calculator Version 5

Just finished a small update to my Scale Calculator app, details below.

I wrote Scale Calculator over 3 1/2 years ago (see also Scale Calculator Update), and it's been ticking away quietly ever since. The logs suggest it doesn't get many visits, and I only use it occasionally myself, but hopefully it has been useful for someone.

I was reading a post about scale calculators on the Paper Modeller forum recently, and one of the replies was from someone who wanted to be able to put in things along the lines of 1' 2 1/2 " (one foot, two and a half inches). This seemed like a useful thing to add, so I did.

There's no mixing of units allowed, i.e. you can't have 4" 1.5 cm, as that would just be silly. There are some other restrictions as well, but mostly common sense things, so they shouldn't cause any problems. In addition to units, common fractions and decimal points are supported. I also took the opportunity to add a bit of help text.

The one small downside of supporting units and fractions is that the input boxes are no longer "number" types. On a mobile phone, this means that the standard text keypad will be presented first, rather than the number only one. Hopefully this won't be too inconvenient.

I've also registered an email address for support of the app (figurescalecalculator@gmail.com). I guarantee not to check it very often, but I will try and look in once in a while, so if there are any suggestions, please drop me a line.

If you want to try them, the programs can be accessed at Scale Size Calculator and Figure Scale Calculator respectively.

Couple of screenshots of the new version taken from my old (but trusty) gen 3 ipod.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SW_IZtu7G3E/VBMZBov90DI/AAAAAAAACxQ/x4XtN3tEFN0/s320/iphoneScaleSize_005.png

Scale size screen, with the inches (") overriding the cm radio button

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1Q5JOxS3ePg/VBMZBThKkKI/AAAAAAAACxM/wZ2gkB8sLPc/s320/iphoneFigureScale_005.png

Figure scale screen, overriding both radio buttons by supplying units.

No comments:

Post a Comment