Sunday 30 December 2012

2012 Review, 2013 Preview

2012 Review, 2013 Preview

Usual end of year ramblings, looking back on what I managed to do and forward to what I hope to do...

2012

Looking back at last year's review post:

Painting

The plan was to stick to simple groups and colour schemes, due to the demands of the Open University Astronomy course I was doing (which I managed to pass, so at least the time spent on it wasn't wasted).

For the most part that approach worked, and although there was nothing particularly exciting about the year's work, I do have a number of units to use in games.

Modelling

I built the wire fence pieces, but nothing else to report on that front.

Gaming

Looking back at my notes, it appears I played a test game of Chaos in Carpathia on the 2nd of January 2012, but didn't keep the momentum going. The only other games I played were a couple of Normandy Firefight games in June.

Summary

So, 2012 wasn't the most exciting of years hobby-wise (which I knew going in), but what does 2013 promise?

2013

I have nothing planned Open University-wise, but if I do decide to do something, it's going to be either May or November, so there should be plenty of time before it kicks in.

Painting

I'm still painting the Mantic Undead army I bought a couple of years ago, and I'm averaging about one unit per year. Hopefully I'll make a bit of progress, although, as there's no incentive to paint them, they may languish a while longer.

I'm cleaning some Wargames Factory Zombie Vixens at present, and 2013 will hopefully see the zombie horde added to, even if the painting quality isn't great.

I'm also working on some science fiction figures, as my civilian/non-military collection is quite weak. I have a number of ideas around this area, so we'll see what happens...

I've just finished painting a 54mm figure - and will post pictures of him at some point - but I'm working on a couple of decals to finish him off. I'm creating these from scratch, so they're still at the experimental stage. He has, however, given me the 54mm bug again, and I have another figure almost prepared. Hopefully 2013 will see some more of this scale painted.

Vehicle-wise, I have an embarrassing number of unbuilt vehicles, so I'm going to try to make time to build and paint at least one or two.

Modelling

I have some pieces gathered to try and create some Traveller inspired SF figures, but haven't done anything with them yet. I think the figures will be a combination of kitbash and some scratchbuilding, so that may scratch my sculpting itch (or at least allow me to kid myself that I did something sculpting related)

Summary

A year with potentially fewer interruptions to it than 2012 (although I have some ideas that may change that, and I'm sure "life" will have a few suggestions of its own).

And Finally

Apologies for the self involved nature of this week's ramblings, and hopefully next week will bring some Goblins and a return to pictures (I didn't have any random ones lying around to brighten up this post).

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment