Sunday 1 September 2013

Repainting Bin Weevils

I stumbled across some figures a few months ago in my local supermarket, which I think will make reasonable SF robots (as long as you squint and don't ask too many questions).

The figures are from a range of Bin Bots. These are sold singly in random blind bags, and their target audience seems to be children. I'm not quite sure what message they're trying to teach the children, but far be it for me to question the wisdom of corporate marketing departments.

The models are fairly hard plastic. Some have copyright information visible on them, but that can be sanded off relatively easily. I dunked one in Dettol for a few days, to see if any paint fell off, but nothing happened. However, just spraying black paint over the model works perfectly well.

The only one I have painted so far is a Brainless Bot, and I chose him because nearly every bag I bought had the model in it, so I had plenty of spares if things went wrong.

Basing involved drilling holes in its legs and pinning it. The material drills fairly easily, certainly well enough to allow it to be pinned.

I painted it at the same time as the Hazmat figures, so it ended up with the same colour scheme.

Brainless Front Brainless Back

A comparison of painted and unpainted versions

Brainless Unpainted

and a size comparison with a Hasslefree Hazmat figure

Brainless Comparison

Below are some of the others that I have. The plan is to use them as starport maintenance robots, although the Brainless Bots may have a more general military application. There's one that's quite a passable Bender (back middle in the group photo), and pretty much all the figures look like they'd fit in the Futurama universe, if anyone's planning any Futurama games.

Group shot of the unconverted robots

Bin Weevil Robots

In addition to the robots, there are some "alien" models. These fall more into the "wacky alien", rather than H.R. Giger category, so I'm not sure I'll find much use for them. However, some of them do strike me as suitable for VSF type games (or the aforementioned Futurama).

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. Very 40's retro feel to them.

    I often look at many household items and see scratch build potential. Was just about to throw away some plastic forks left over from a barbecue and when I noticed the handles were similar to the feet of an 88mm German AA gun.
    Snapped of the fork end and the handles went straight in my bit box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. There's a box in my loft filled with all kinds of stuff that will come in really useful "some day" :-)

      Delete